UPDATE: the closing date for applications has been extended to September 30th.
Part-time Position Available: Director of Children and Youth
(up to 15 hours per week from September, 2022 to June, 2023)
Mt. Bethel Presbyterian Church is a small but active PCUSA church located at 3541 Rose of Sharon Road in Durham, North Carolina. This loving congregation is excited about the growth and direction of our program for children and youth. A support group comprising several members of the church community stands ready to assist the person who accepts this vital role. The primary objective of this position is to create, grow, and effectively manage a program that will nurture meaningful relationships among children and youth, their families, and the congregation, which will in turn support our vision statement: To welcome, include and connect with all, so that together we learn how God would have us love and serve.
- Plan and coordinate/lead weekly programs for children and youth on Sundays
- Plan curriculum and activities for Junior Church with Pastor and volunteer leaders
- Prepare and present the Children’s Message twice monthly, and work with the pastor to help recruit other leaders for Sundays as needed
- Lead Youth Group on Sunday evenings for grades 6-12
- Collaborate with other staff to plan for and facilitate children and youth participation in special worship services like Children’s Sabbath and Youth Sunday, SHINE activities for grades K-5 on Wednesday evenings, and other church events
- Plan and lead occasional activities such as Kids Club events
- Coordinate and plan quarterly events/activities for pre-school age group
- Promote youth involvement in Mt Bethel fellowship events and service projects
- Attend monthly Christian Education Committee meetings and assist Christian Education in preparing a calendar of events
- Attend weekly staff meetings with the Pastor as schedule allows and other committee meetings as needed
- Collaborate with the Communications Committee to publicize events for children and youth
- With guidance from the support group, recruit and coordinate volunteers to assist with programs for children and youth
- Assist with special events, especially around Advent/Christmas and Easter
- Oversee the use of supplies, care of facilities, and allocation of funds budgeted for children and youth programs
- Experience working with children and youth
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Engaging teacher with a strong Bible studies background
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to collaborate with staff and volunteers
- Creativity, enthusiasm and flexibility
- Musical background a plus
Applicants must have legal authorization to be employed in the United States and be willing to undergo a background check.
This position reports to the Pastor/Head of Staff. Compensation range: $15 – $20 per hour, depending on qualifications.
Please send a letter of interest and your resume to Ken Jones, Moderator of Personnel Committee, at email@example.com, by September 30th, 2022.